Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Reading Challenge: World Citizen Challenge

Last year, I tried a couple of reading challenges, but I petered out sometime in the late spring. That's not going to stop me from trying again! The first challenge I decided to sign up for this year is the World Citizen Challenge, hosted by Eva from A Striped Armchair, and I chose this one to get outside my comfort zone. I buy a lot of non-fiction books, but I don't necessarily read them, so this will also help me attack my to-be-read pile.

For this challenge, I'm joining at the Major level, which means I must read five books from three different categories. The categories are: politics, economics, history, culture/anthropology/sociology, world issues, and memoir/autobiography. I've settled on the following books from my shelves (I think I have the correct categories):

History - Mary Queen of Scots, by Antonia Fraser
World Issues - The World Is Flat, by Thomas Friedman
Memoir - Falling Leaves, by Adeline Yen Mah
Culture/Sociology/Anthro - A History of God, by Karen Armstrong; A Perfect Summer, by Juliet Nicholson; How the Irish Saved Civilization, by Thomas Cahill

I'll be posting my reviews here, so stay tuned!

*image/challenge button provided by Eva at A Striped Armchair