Monday, March 24, 2008

Guerlain Mahora

Not a long post tonight, but I had to tell you all about Mahora. Sweetlife (Alyssa, to fans over at Perfume Smellin' Things) kindly sent this to me, most likely because she knows I love white florals.

The notes in Mahora are:
Top: orange, almond tree blossoms
Heart: ylang-ylang, neroli, tuberose, jasmine
Base: sandal, vetiver, vanilla

One whiff of this scent, and I long to be on vacation somewhere. Permanently. Just after winning the lottery. What I enjoy so much about Mahora, which goes from bright and tropical to creamy to powdery and comforting--think a long day basking in the sun, followed by an evening on a patio with a warm breeze off the ocean--is the sophisticated yet quiet approach it takes. There's no mistaking the tuberose, to be sure, but it's as though she's donned a sun hat and picked up a book to retire to a poolside chaise. I love this tuberose, so happy and relaxed on vacation. And I love that there's no coconut, or anything approaching coconut--or suntan lotion--nothing that shouts blatantly: "Yoo hoo! See my grass skirt? Want to rub some oil on my back?"

I need to do a little test, but Mahora reminds me of another white floral I recently fell in like with, Michael Kors EDP. That perfume is also an interesting approach to tropical, a bit sweeter if my nose remembers correctly, but still refined, a lady in a white linen dress. Perhaps later this week I'll cover that and see.

*image from 99perfume